Constellation is a process. It helps people to reveal hidden dynamics in their relationships with families, work, health and other areas of their life. This process increases the flow of love, harmony and balance in all systems.
How is a constellation done?
The constellation process looks like the following:
- The client talks to a facilitator about an issue that she or he is seeking a solution.
- The facilitator suggests to the client one or multiple people/elements in this issue that can be set up as representatives.
- Either the client or the facilitator, chooses people (if it’s done in a group) or objects (if it’s done in a private session) to be the representatives.
- The client and the facilitator sit back and observe the movement, postures, feelings and interactions of these representatives.
- The facilitator checks in with the representatives, get feedback from them and the client. Some movements or words for the representatives may be suggested.
- The facilitator checks in with the client, discerns what would be most helpful, and allows the picture to unfold.
- Repeat the last few steps until a solution picture presents itself.
This is a distilled description of the process and there are many different ways of doing constellations. It can be done with people representatives, with intentions, or with objects, such as papers and stones. Each facilitator does it with personal styles and different orientation.
What are the roots of Constellations?
Constellation is developed by Bert Hellinger, a German psychotherapist. It can be seen as a modern interpretation of ancient ancestral practice across many cultures. It is deeply rooted in the Zulu tradition and other indigenous wisdom.
What are some of the examples that Constellations can be helpful?
Constellations can stand on its own, or can be combined with traditional psychotherapy. It is very effective in looking into the underlying causes and finding solutions that our minds could not see. Constellations are commonly used in the following areas:
- Relationship issues: including family and extended family dynamics, couples issues, parenting difficulties, and workplace relationships.
- Repeated patterns in life: such as difficulty with money, self-sabotaging behaviours, career failures, etc.
- Health issues: unexplainable pain, chronic medical conditions, anxiety, trauma, and trans-generational trauma.
- Organizational issues: conflicts between staff, merging of two companies, direction and growth of an organization.
Some facilitators specialize in one or two areas. Some even use constellations to explore the relationship between people and the nature elements, such as the land, water, animals and plants.
What is your style and how do you do it?
My style has been described by colleagues and teachers from close observation as phenomenological, sensational, intuitive, respectful and clean.
I facilitate either in a group or in a private session with the client. Depending on how clear the client is with his or her goal in, we either set up a constellation right away or we might spend some time to prepare the mind and the soul for it. I like to start with only a few representatives, then observe the whole picture and the movements of each representatives. This is an intuitive process, therefore, I encourage the representatives to notice whatever feelings, physical sensations, images or words that come up to them. I never force anyone to say or to do anything they don’t want to. Instead, I look at whatever shows up in the process as information. What shows through a constellation is often very different from what one has in mind. Constellations are surprisingly effective because it speaks directly to our soul. A lot of times mind simply needs time to catch up. Therefore, I always encourage my clients to allow themselves time and space to feel and to absorb the effects after the constellation. Most of the time to simply observe the changes in their life is the best thing to do. Simple observation allows the picture to unfold continuously. The full effects of a constellation often take days, weeks, or months to be seen.
What are some of the benefits of Constellations?
- A sense of connection and integration
- Physical and emotional relief
- Increased productivity, creativity and energy
- Better understanding and acceptance of a difficult life situation
- Stop of unhealthy behaviour in life
- Better relationship with loved ones, family, work and in general
- Release of unresolved grief and loss
How do I know “it’s real”?
You know because you feel it. You don’t have to force yourself to do anything or to think of anything. The shift just happens and you feel it physically, mentally, and emotionally. Some people observe the subtle changes in themselves, some have an “Ah-ha moment”, and some describes it like “a piece of puzzle falling into its place.” No matter how you describe it, you know when it happens.
Constellation is a magic bullet that could replace good self-care, family support, nutrition, exercise, etc. On the other hand, constellation complements and accelerates whatever you are doing to improve your life. If you know all the right things to do, but you don’t do them. Setting up a constellation might reveal the hidden cause of that. If you have been in traditional therapy, knows what’s wrong with your childhood yet nothing changes, constellation might give you the necessary kick to get the ball rolling. If you have worked so hard on yourself yet you are still stuck, there might be a surprise for you in constellations.
I invite everyone who is curious about this process to have a chat with me. Book a free Breakthrough to Love consultation here.
You are always guided by your family soul, no matter you are aware of it or not.